Modals of deduction
Grammar: Modals of deduction
Procedure (36-47 minutes)
- Ask Ss: Do you travel a lot? What kind of places do you like to see most? Why? (historical places, nature, big cities) - Group up the Ss. - Give each group a set of photos from the coursebook. - Tell them to guess:where do you think these photos were taken ? (1 min.) - Teacher elicits the answers, no comment at this stage.
- Pair up Ss - Tell Ss to listen and put the photos in the correct order as they hear and remember the countries. -Play the recording again, this time stop and ask about the country. - (C-Vietnam, B- Singapore, D- Thailand, A-Argentina) - Write the answer key on the board and ask them about the countries.
- Show students the pictures and elicit - If they don't know the word for it, drill. - Write the pronunciation on the board. - Ask them to find the stress. - In 1 min, Ask Ss to match the places to the photos with their partner. - Give each group two or one picture to talk about what they see. Ss with their partners - Are there any places in Turkey where we can see these things? Tell your partner.
- Give Ss the script. - Ss in pairs. - Write on the board : I am sure(I think it is certain) I think it is possible. I think it is impossible. - Ask them to find these decutions or an example for each category. (2 min.) - Elicit the answers. - Write some of the answers on the board. - Ask them about the form. - Write the form on the board. - Make clear that we have to use infinitive form of the verb without to. - More Ex. She looks very tired. She ____ be ill. I call my friends house but nobody is answering. They ______. The sky is very cloudy tonight. Tomorrow_________. She is only 17. She ____ have a driving licence.
- Write some examples from the script on the board. Students will give you the examples. CCQs: It must be Singapore. Can it be India? Am I sure it is Singapore? It might be Vietnam. Am I sure it is Vietnam? Can it be Turkey? Do I know for sure? It can't be India. Is it India? Is there a possibility that it can be India? - Elicit the form of the sentence : It could be Vietnam. S. M. V1 Obj. Am I talking about past, present or future? - These are present modal verbs of deduction.
Pair Work! -Give the Ss sets of strips (2min.) -Ask them to match the sentences. -Checking answers with their friends.
- Ask Ss to look at page 71 and the table on it. - Ss work in gorups of three or even four. - They have to write deductions by looking at the information and decide which country it is.
- Get Ss in a circle. - Give Ss some pictures and ask them to make deductions with their partner. - Demo it with an example.
-If there is extra time left: Ask Ss What places would they like to see before they die and why?