TP7 CELTA 2015
To present your opinion throught controlled/freer speaking practice in the context of controversial issues
To provide clarification of vocabulary in the context of rules, rights, and freedom
Procedure (33-40 minutes)
- Make sure that i know the ss’ names in order to nominate - Focus students' attention on some displayed pictures presenting controversial daily issues. - Invite Ss to guess what kind of problem/ issues do we have in the displayed pictures. - This activity should not take a lot of time if Ss are unable to identify the issue. -
- Pre-teach vocabulary: Strict Law, more rights, and fewer rights (MFP) - T CCQs target language.
- T demonstrates the first example - T puts the Ss into pairs to categorize the phrases and sentences in a home-made table - T monitors and checks answers - T provides answer keys for every student in the classroom - Language/ Content feedback
- Ss use the sentences in the previous exercise to finish an opinion. - T provides the Ss with time to discuss the incomplete sentences - Ss work in pairs to finish the sentences in their own words. - T monitors and checks the answers - T selects some students to share their thoughts with the whole class (OP) while using a ball for pre selection to talk. language/ content feedback (FB)
- T pre-teaches: controversial, controversy, to smack, to hunt, to be banned, and compulsory. (MFP) - T CCQs target language.
- T divided the Ss into small groups. - T hands out the controversial topics and allow Ss time to agree/select the topic they like to discuss. - T provides Ss with ready made sentences on how to express their opinions. The sentences are taken from the useful language (a) P117. - T asks some Ss to express their opinion with discussion.
- T provides students with useful language (b) - T drills the useful language. - T divides the group of learners into groups - Ss discuss their selected topics in groups using the provided useful language. - T monitors and check any group of speakers who has already finished and ask them to discuss another topic. - T Monitors and take notes for later error correction.
- Ss present their groups view to the class - T asks the rest of the class whether they agree or disagree about the topic. - T provides feedback and corrects errors where necessary. Goodbye