Upper - Intermediate, B2 level
The main aim of this lesson is integrated skills - listening and speaking. Students will have the opportunity to listen and talk about a general achievement.
To introduce related phrases and listening for specific detail.
Procedure (31-45 minutes)
- Focus the Ss on the pictures and ask to describe who / what they can see.
- Set the activity ex. 1 pg. 56 - Do the first example with the class - Put the Ss in pairs and allow time to do the activity - Monitor and help if necessary - Ask the Ss move around and compare answers. Tell them to change their answers if they hear a better one. - Put Ss back in their groups - Ask them to discuss the qeustion in ex. 2 - Monitor and help if necesssary
- Ask th Ss to read the questions in ex. 3, pg. 56. - Play the recording and remind the Ss they don't need to write full sentences - Pause after each speaker - Put them in pairs to compare their answers - Play the recording again for them to check
- Put th Ss in pairs - Set a time limit for them to decide on a topic. - Ask Ss to plan their talk in their pairs and tell them they only need to come up with one achievement. - Monitor and help if necessary ( a few mins later) - Draw Ss attention to useful language and go over useful language phrases - Encourage them to add and use the phrases in their story - Change pairs making sure every Ss will hear a new story - Get Ss to listen to each other's achievement story and encourage them to ask further questions. - Monitor if necessary
- Ask Ss to give their ideas about which story they find most amazing and why