Reading and talking about worst case scenarios
Upper-intermediate , B2 level
To give students practice in the integrated skills of reading for gist , and speaking fluency in the context of worst case scenarios .
To introduce related phrases and listening for specific details .
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
-Engage ss by asking them what they can see in each picture . -Introduce the vocabulary that they don't know . -Do some drilling .
- Set ss in pairs - Ask them to read the titles , then answer the two questions in Ex.1, pg 62 - Tell them not to read the texts yet .
- Set ss in pairs - Get them to write a list for each situation found in the titles - Remind them that they should not read the texts yet. - Monitor and make sure the students are making their own lists.
- Ss read the texts individually and check their answers - ss get in pairs again and discuss the questions in Ex.3 pg.62 - Monitor and help if necessary
- Put ss in pairs - Ss go through Ex.4 pg 62 and try to guess the meaning of the words from the texts. - Monitor and help if necessary - Go through the answers as a class - Give them the answer key handout .
- Put ss in pairs - Ask them to answer as many questions as they can ( Ex 5 pg.62) - Ask them to read the text again and check their answers . - Monitor and help if necessary - Give them the answer key handout
- Put ss in groups - Tell them to discuss the questions in Ex. 6 pg.62 - Monitor - Elicit answers from each group for the questions .