To present and practice plural positive and negative forms of the verb 'to be'.
to provide reading for gist and listening for specific information.
Procedure (37-45 minutes)
- T gives sts the handouts with an email and a picture of Sally and Dan in it. And the handout should be folded, so they could see only the picture. - T tells them to look at the picture and asks them to tell about the it using the adjectives. (T can ask 'What can you see?' - possible answers: (she's a) beautiful woman, good picture, friendly man and woman. - if they have problems, T might ask questions: are man and woman friendly?) - T asks other follow-up questions and writes the answers on the WB: Where are they from? Nationality? What's their job? Where are they? Do they like this place?
- T shows the ppt pictures and elicits the words. - While eliciting each word, T writes them on the WB and works on the pronunciation and the stress. - Then T asks 'Are the words verbs or nouns?' and makes sure to mark the stress.
- T tells the sts to look back to their ideas about the photo, then T says 'Let's check if you are right or not?' - T tells them to unfold the sheet and asks the students 'What's this?' - eliciting the word 'email'. And explains to them Dan and Sally wrote it to Fiona and Nick by showing this illustration on the board: Dan/ Sally --(an email)---- Fiona/ Nick - T tells them to read the email in one minute. (ISQ: How much time?) - After they finish reading once, T asks sts 'Where are Sally and Dan?' - In Moscow.
- T tells them to read the text again. (in 30 seconds) - While they read, T writes these 2 sentences on the board: 1) Moscow is a beautiful city. 2) The people are unfriendly. - When they finish reading, T asks them to look at the WB, tells them that the sentences are about the email and check the adjectives if they're TRUE or FALSE? T reads #1 and asks if the adjective is TRUE according to the text? -True - T puts a check. T reads #2 and does the same procedure - False adjective - T crosses the word 'unfriendly' out and writes the word 'friendly'. - Then T shows the sheet with the other 5 sentences and asks them to check if the adjectives about the text T or F? (ISQ: What are you going to do?Check WHAT? - Adjective, Noun or verb? - ) - Then teacher gives the sheets and tells them to work alone. - After they finish T asks 'Who's your partner?' - T tells them to check with each other. - WC FB - write the aswers on the WB.
- T writes on the WB: Positive (+) We ________ in a new hotel. You ________ from the UK They _______ very big. - T elicits from the sts 'we're; you're; they're' and checks if they know 'we, you, they'. - T elicits the long forms 'we are; you are; they are' and does finger drilling. - T writes as a second column Negative (--) and elicits 'aren't' We ________ in the hotel now. You _______ from Russia. They _______ very expensive. - T elicits the long form 'are not' and does finger drilling. - T writes near each sentence 'we're not, you're not, they're not' and elicits form the sts 'Is it OK?' - T writes these sentences and asks them 'Is it right? Is it OK?' Sally and Dan're in Moscow. The rooms're nice. The answer:No! cross it out and say after a noun and a name it's not OK. - T sums it up by showing 12 sentences and asking individuals to say T or F.
- T shows the pictures and elicits the positive and negative sentences. - T invites a student, and demos the mingle activity: T gives a picture to a student, and T says her sentence and lets the student say his, and exchanges with the pictures and tells find a new partner. T makes 2 sts practice for the class. ( ISQ: What are you going to do? say a sentence, listen to your partner's sentence, exchange pictures. Say only Positive sentence???? - no, Positive and Negative. - Sts mingle.
- T writes on the WB: 1) We aren't _____________, we're ______________. T tells the sts to listen to T 3.3 and fill in the gaps. After they listen, T elecits the answers. - Then T tells them to do #2a - Peer checking. - WC FB - T writes the answers on the board. - T tells them to go back to their partner, and do #2b - underline the contractions. - WC FB - T underlines on the WB. - T asks 'Which contractions are negative?' - Drilling as a class and have individuals repeat after you some.