Verb forms in the narrative
Upper - Intermediate, B2 level
To provide clarification, practice and review of the past simple, the past continuous, the past perfect simple and the past perfect continuous
To provide understanding of pronunciation and what "stress" is.
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- Put the Ss into pairs and ask them to do Language focus 1 on pg.34. Monitor and help if necessary. - Check answers with the class.
( Ss should be familiar with the past simple, past continuous and past perfect simple. This will help them understand the past perfect continuous.) - Put Ss into pairs to read the information and answer the questions in Analysis 1 (a/b/c). Refer them to sentences 1 - 8 in the previous exercise for help. Check answers and clarify anything the Ss do not understand or misunderstand. - In pairs get Ss to do Analysis 2. Monitor and help if necessary. Check answers with the class. ( Use Language summary A on pg.146 if necessary )
- Ask the Ss to describe the pictures on pg. 34 and elicit some information about the stories which are related to pictures. ( If necessary teach " give a sharp poke, grateful " ) - In pairs, ask the Ss complete the stories - Give out the answers them to check in pairs.
- Play the class CD and draw the Ss attention to stressed words in the sentence. - Tell them that the most important words are stressed and the other words are often weak, e.g. a, an, from, the. - Write the two example sentences on the board and ask Ss if they can figure out the stressed words. - Get Ss to mark on the board. - Check the answers with class by listening to class CD
- Put Ss in pairs and ask them to tell each other a true story that happened to them or a friend abour an adventure or mishap - Refer them to the ideas amd allow time to make notes - Monitor and provide vocabulary if they need.
- Get the Ss to do ex. 3a on pg. 23 from the WB - Monitor and help if necessary - Hand out the answers for Ss check