Simple Present Tense, Question Form
To provide review and clarification of of simple present tense - affirmative and negative - and provide clarification for the question forms in simple present tense
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a report in the context of people they know
Procedure (38-45 minutes)
In this section I am going to activate sts' knowledge of words and phrases that they need for the presentation section and the later phases of practice and production: 1. Seven pictures of daily routine activities and six time expressions are put on the board. 2. The Students talk about them very briefly. 3. T asks some questions about the phrases and time expressions. 4. Asks them to look for one minute and after one minute he is going to remove the slide and has them write as many of them as they can remember. These expressions are used throughout the lesson. 5. Then sts are asked to write down as many of them as they can remember. 6. They will share them in pairs, giving some time to reflect on the words and phrases. 7. They are then asked whether they can add anything to the list.
1. A photo of Angelina Jolie is shown. 2. The sts are asked whether they know her. 3. Then some facts are read about her and the corresponding questions are asked. 4. The sts are asked to repeat the sentences. For example: She is married. What’s her husband’s name? Brad Pitt. They live in LA. Everybody repeat. They live in LA. They live in LA. Do they live in LA? Yes, they do. Please repeat. Do they live in LA? Do they live in LA? Yes, they do. 5. Sts are supposed to repeat the sentences and answer the questions with three more sentences.
1. Three of the sentences appear on the slide. One with the subject "they" and two with the subject "she." The sentences are written from the context provided in the exposure section. 2. Some drilling is done. Single-slot substitution drill, correlative substitution drill and transformation drills are used. 3. Attention to the form and meaning by highlighting the "s," "do" and "does." 4. Some questions are asked so as to attract the students' attention to the form in questions: "Do we use "do" with he/she to ask questions?" "What do we use with he or she?"
1. Some CCQs are asked: Do we use present simple to talk about habits? S: Yes. Do we use present simple to talk about things that happen sometimes or all the time? Ss: Yes. 2. It is emphasized that simple present tense is used to talk about daily activities. 3. The pronunciation of "do you" and "does he/she" is stressed.
1. This stage starts with a very controlled exercise in which the students are expected to circle the correct form. 2. Instructions are given. ICQs are asked: Do we talk to someone else? Ss: No. Do you draw a circle? Ss: Yes. 3. Sts are given the first HO. 4. Time is set. 5. Whole class feedback as teacher shows the answers on the slide.
1. This gap-fill activity is chosen at a slightly more demanding level because the sts are supposed be choosing the right word and grammar to make correct sentences. 2. The instructions are given. 3. Modeling is done with the first example. 4. Time is set. 5. Students are asked to check in pairs. 6. They are asked to read individually to give feedback.
This part is divided into two phases: Phase One: 1. Sts are asked to write 6 sentences about themselves thinking they are one of the famous people in the slide. 2. Then they are supposed to read out their sentences and ask a question based on the sentence and nominate someone to answer. 3. This will take the form of open chains. Phase 2: 4. Finally, sts are asked to write 6 questions. 5. Then they are given the last HO. One example is done. 6. Time is set. 7. They mingle then to ask three people their questions. 8. They are supposed to report to the class their finding about their classmates. Then they should report it to the class. For example: S1: I get up at 6:30. Do you get up at 6:30? S2: No, I don't. S1: I get up at 6:30, but Mehmet doesn't get up at 6:30.
1. T will write some the errors the students produced in the production phase. 2. T will ask sts what the problems with the forms are. 3. Homework is assigned.