Lesson Plan 7B
The main aims of the lesson is to allow students to practice using ‘there is/there are’ and ‘is there/are there’ in a sentence. Their activities are mainly focussed on their productive skills, requiring them to comparing images and list the differences between them; the truth in them; and then to speak about them.
The subsidiary aims of the lesson are practicing the student’s receptive skills in listening and writing where they need to distinguish between the true and false sentences. In addition to this they will also need to describe a picture by using the vocabulary and the target language. They will also be exposed to more focus on productive skills practice through pronunciation and substitution drilling.
Procedure (38-41 minutes)
1. T will begin the lesson by ask the ss how they are, and then proceed to tell them “I live in Bogazkoy” and then proceed to ask them “Where do you live?” Following this, the T will then ask the ss to give some examples of places to go in their town. Give example i.e. restaurant, hotels etc to get them started. 2. T will present a paper with a collage of images commonly found around towns. T will indicate that ss get into pairs and then will point to the images and ask them to match in pairs with the vocabulary provided by T. 3. Give students 4 minutes to do this activity. 4. Monitor the students to see which vocabulary is confusing ss during task.
1. State to ss “Let’s check” 2. Choose a volunteer from class: ask their answer to the first question, second and so on. 3. For vocabulary that is anticipated to be known due to their Turkish equivalent being similar, no CCQs required. theatre shopping centre bus station airport train station park 4. T will only drill these words. 5. It is anticipated that some words are not known ss and will require T to prepare some CCQs. These words are: Museum: Show ss a picture of a well-known museum in Turkey I.e. Hagia Sophia. Then show them a picture of a Topkapi Palace. Check meaning by asking them “Does it have very old things” Big “Which one is a museum?” Both of them. Then drill the word. River: Show them a picture of a river, and then to compare show them a picture of an ocean. Check meaning by asking them ss “Which image has more water? Ocean “A river is something with less water in it. Which one is the river?” River. Then drill the word. A building: T will ask them “do you live in an apartment?” T will draw a quick picture of an apartment block to check meaning, and ask “then what do we call all the apartments together?” T will draw several other apartments on top of the first. Then drill the word.
1. T will write on the WB Answer Form: There is/are……. Questions and the Question form: Is there a……..? Are there any………? 2. T will present some images used during the vocabulary task to elicit responses from ss by pointing to the pictures to use them as the object in the sentence. 3. T will provide 2 examples for each sentence and question as a demonstration. 4. T will explain terminology simply by referring to the plural and the single form that is used in the above questions and answers. 5. T will then state “Let’s make a sentence” 6. T will use flashcards that state “2 bus stops” and “a restaurant” etc. that ss will be shown and then asked to make a sentence orally. This is known as a substitution drill. 7. Immediate error correction when eliciting the correct form. 8. Sentences will then be drilled.
1. Introduce Susan from the recording to the class by showing ss her picture. Ask “What is Susan doing in the picture” when pointing to the background image. Elicit that Susan wants to talk about places in her town. 2. Play recording R6.2 3. SS will put into pairs using gestures. 4. T will leave the new vocabulary images on the WB for reference. 5. T will gesture to the picture and ask them to listen to the recording. Play the recording once for ss to listen and list the places that Susan mentions. 6. Distribute handout of true and false statements that contain the target language of the lesson to ss in the class. 7. T will demonstrate 2 or 3 examples on the WB. 8. Play the recording again. 9. Demonstrate to students circle the answer that is true by using the recording. 10. SS will be given 7 minutes to do this. Encourage peer check. 11. Elicit the answers. Drill the true sentences with ss.
1. T will state “I want to talk about the town where I live. I live in Bogazkoy.” T will then ask ss to “ask questions about the places to go in my town.” 2. T will indicate to ss to use the vocabulary on the WB to help create their questions for example “Are there any banks in Bogazkoy?” or “Is there a post office in Bogazkoy?” 3. T will provide answer in correct form: “Yes there are 3 banks in Bogazkoy” and that “There is one post office in Bogazkoy.” 4. T will instruct students to get into groups of 2 and that they should write down 5 questions to ask their partner in class similar to what they had asked T. 5. T then instructs ss following this the ss must take turns asking each other questions and answering in the correct form and answer the questions in the correct form. 6. If time persists, instruct ss to mingle with other ss and ask these questions