Copy of Sixth TP 04 Oct 13
Pre-intermediate - B1 level
Reading. The students will be able to practice both reading for gist and reading for detail skills during the first activities.
1. Vocabulary: vocabulary pre-teaching in order to prepare the students for the text. 2. Speaking: semi-controlled speaking activities during the productive stage.
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
- I will ask the students their opinion about cars. "who likes cars?" - "who doesn't like cars?" - "who thinks cars are just a convenience?" - Ask some students for their opinions.
- I will pre-teach some vocabulary to prepare the students for the text. - I will use images and try to elicit. If they are not familiar with the words, I will teach them, then drill. I will then stick the images on the board, show the stress and label them.
- Divide the students in pairs. - Show the material to the students. Tell them that I am about to give them the clippings and give them instructions. - Distribute picture and text clippings. Tell them to do a short reading for gist and match the pictures. - Put the answers on the board and ask them to check.
- Divide the students in pairs. - Ask them to read for detail and find out which car created the most problems to its owner. - Monitor and put the answer on the board.
- Divide students in pairs. - Ask them to discuss: "what was the first car you drove?" or "what was the first car you remember going in as a child?" - Demo. - Monitor.
- Divide students in pairs. - Demo the exercise and give instructions. - Ask the students to talk about their dream car with their partners. - Monitor. - Semi-controlled activity.