To provide fluency speaking practice in using suggestions in the context of creating a time capsule.
To provide gist listening practice using a text about time capsules in the context of their purpose and what is inside of them.
To provide practice and review of everyday objects in the context of items to include in a time capsule.
Procedure (39-44 minutes)
- T will welcome class - “I want you to watch this video and type done in the chatbox like this (T types done in chatbox) when you have finished watching the video.” - T will send link to lead in which contains a video (1min 40sec) to introduce the topic of a time capsule - Once Ss have watched video T shares screen and will ask the questions on the next slide - CCQs: - What are time capsules? Containers that holds things (items) from the present that will be opened in the future - What kinds of items are placed inside time capsules? Newspapers, pictures, coins…. - Would you like to make a time capsule? Why or why not?
- T will share screen of padlet - T will give instructions: “Today we are talking about time capsules and the items we place inside them. You will add items to this board with a partner. For example… T shows how to add text or photo… You will have 3 minutes.” - ICQs: Are you working alone or in groups? In groups Are you talking about these items or adding more items? Adding more items - T will share link, create breakout rooms, and monitor - After 3 minutes T will end breakout rooms for OCFB - T will share screen and nominate Ss to share what they would put in a time capsule and why. T will then use one Ss suggestion and ask another student if they agree or disagree with putting it in a time capsule
- T will share screen “Complete this google form with a partner. It is ok if you do not finish. You will have 3 minutes.” - Ss will complete exercise which covers MFPA (pron will be further addressed while reviewing answers- T will point out sentence stress and do choral and individual drilling with students) - While Ss are working T will add photo to padlet for speaking exercise - After time is up T will end break out rooms and have students submit their answers. - T will focus on questions which Ss struggled to answer. T will nominate students to give their answers to lessen TTT.
- T will have uploaded photo of speaking task to padlet which has questions and suggested TL to use. - T will share screen - TASK 1: “You will talk to a partner about whether you agree or disagree about these items being put in a time capsule and why.” You will have 10 minutes to talk - ICQs: - Can you add more items to the board? Yes - Should you just talk about the items or why you should include them? Why you should include them - After 8 minutes T will bring students back to the main session - TASK 2: - T will share screen of google doc - “You will now decide what 3 items you would include in a time capsule and why. Work with your partner again to decide. You will have 8 minutes. I will send each of you a link once you are in your groups.” - T will send a google doc to each group and monitor groups and google docs - After time is up Ss will return to the main session and T will share screen and toggle through google docs and ask students to speak about one or more of the items their group included and the reasons why
- T will have OCFB to discuss what students now think should go in their time capsule and why (with more language than they used at the beginning) - T has been monitoring groups and will give DEC. Since T wants students to feel free to speak and not discouraged only some corrections will be made. - T will also point out some of the good language Ss used.