To provide review and practice of language used for polite enquiries in the context of asking for help or a favor.
To provide gist reading practice using a text about asking for help or a favor in the context of a business conversation between a receptionist and client.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of asking for help or a favor.
Procedure (36-45 minutes)
1. T sets timer for stage (4 minutes) 2. T shares screen 3. T gives instructions: (1 min) “I want you to talk to your partner about how you would ask a store employee for help. For example: Excuse me, would you mind getting me a different size in this dress? You will have 2 minutes in groups.” ICQs: Should you answer the questions you make up? No 4. T sends link and creates break out rooms (2 minutes) 5. Once time is up, T ends break out rooms 6. OCFB: T nominates a few students to share for 1 minute (until 4 minute timer goes off)
1. T sets timer for stage (8 minutes) 2. T shares screen 3. GIST: (2 min) T gives instructions: “Quickly read this conversation and answer these general questions. When you are done hit submit. I will give you 2 minutes. ICQs: Should you read slowly and carefully? No 4. T sends links and sets timer for 2 minutes. 5. WHILE THEYRE WORKING WORK ON SETTING UP GOOD BREAK OUT ROOMS 6. Once 2 minutes is up, T will get students attention and go over responses. 7. INTENSIVE: (5 minutes) T gives instructions: Sharing screen. “Now I want you to fill in these blanks BEFORE looking at the conversation again. I will give you 2 minutes to work alone and 3 minutes to work in your groups. It is ok if you don’t finish. ICQs: Should you answer the questions before or after reading the conversation again? Before 8. After 2 minutes T will create breakout rooms. 9. Once time is up T will end break out rooms and go over responses….
1. …T sets timer for stage (3 minutes) 2. T will end break out rooms and go over responses. (“If you noticed, we are going over how to politely request something”). 3. OCFB: T will share ‘responses’ screen 4. T will nominate students to share their answers – if they got it right or wrong – if they understand it now…
1. T sets timer for stage (9 minutes) 2. T will share screen of MFPA slides. (and send link). 3. T will go through slides. 4. T should involve students with the questions/ activities on the slides.
1. T sets timer for stage (9 minutes) 2. T shares screen. 3. T gives instructions: (2 mins) “You will have 2 minutes to start working on this by yourselves before you work in groups. It’s ok if you don’t finish. Don’t hit submit until you work in your groups. You need to re-write the sentences using the words in parenthesis. At the bottom you need to select what the intonation is at the end of the sentence like we just practiced. Let’s do the first one together.” I’d like to enquire about the dinner specials. 4. T sets timer for 2 minutes 5. Once 2 minutes are up T gives instructions: “Now you will go to break out rooms for 3 more minutes to compare your answers” 6. Once 3 minutes are up T will end breakout rooms 7. OCFB: (3-4 minutes) T will share screen and go over responses with students while checking if they understand the answers. T will focus on questions Ss struggled to answer.
1. T sets timer for stage (9 minutes) 2. T shares screen 3. T gives instructions: (1 min) “Now I want you to practice forming polite enquiries through a role play. Student A you will be the client trying to find out about your dream vacation from a travel agent, Student B, using polite enquiries. You can pick any destination you want! Student B, you will be the travel agent answering Student As questions. You can make up all the answers. They don’t have to be true. After a few minutes you will switch roles. [If there is a group of three, then two students can act as a couple who are both going on the vacation and asking the travel agent questions] You should each talk for about 2 (depends on remaining class time) minutes. I’ll give an example: Hello, I’m calling about booking an Alaska cruise. If it’s not too much trouble could I ask you some questions about the trip? Of course, what would you like to know?....” 4. T monitors break out rooms and writes some good and bad examples of the TL being used. 5. After 6 minutes, T brings Ss back to the main room for OCFB and DEC