Fifth TP 02 Oct 13
Listening - The students will practice their receptive skills in the context of "weird"/ aliens etc
Speaking - Semi controlled speaking activities using new lexis expressions: "how long", "how often" etc
Procedure (33-47 minutes)
- I will start by showing pictures of crop circles and ask the students what they think it is. - Get the students in the context.
- After showing them the picture, if they guess, I will move on to check if they know: "how did it happen? where does it happen? city or farm?" etc - if they mention that it may have been made by aliens, I will show the alien picture. - If they don't guess I will explain what a crop circle is
- I will show the students the crop circle in question and tell them they will listen to an interview. - Divide students in pairs. - Students listen to the interview. I will replay if necessary. - Students have to fill in the blanks of ex.2 p. 107. - I will give them time to complete the task then will write all the answers on the board.
- Divide the students in pairs. - Play the tape script one more time and ask the students to listen carefully for details. - Ask the students to match the questions in ex.1 to the answers in ex. 2. - Allow time and share answers in class on the board.
- Sentences still written on the board, ask concept questions: "does this refer to time? Distance? Speed?" etc. - Check if students have a full understanding of the differences between all the expressions and what they are used for before moving on to the productive stage.
- Divide students in pairs. - Make them do ex. 1 (Lexis) on p.107 - Matching exercise. Using 2 posters, I will divide the class into 2 groups and give each group a poster. They will stand in line and each one of them will match one or more answers. The first group to finish wins. - Make students ask each other the same questions to practice the expressions. - Monitor.
- Write the sentences from ex. 3 (Lexis) on the board. - Ask students to ask each other about their own habits using: "how long does it take you to...?" after demonstrating with one of them.