Third TP 24 Sep 13
Upper Intermediate level
Speaking in the context of Parenthood and spending more time on oral practice.
Vocabulary: learning and using expressions like: "it may be wise to...", "there is no reason why you shouldn't..." etc.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Divide the group into pairs or small groups. - Ask the question: "In your opinion, what should be included in a childcare manual?" - Ask the students to, while thinking about their answers, keep in mind the problems of child upbringing in Turkey. - Students will brainstorm ideas between each other. - Write their topics / ideas on the board.
- Divide the class into pairs. - Ask the students to do a reading for gist and underline expressions like: "it's fine for..." etc - Write all those expressions on the board
- Divide the students into small groups. - Stick 3 A3 posters with different colors on the walls and assign each color to a group of students. - Ask each group to pick 3 topics about the problems of upbringing children in Turkey and write their ideas on the posters. - Allow students to work on their posters for some time .
- After the students finish, ask each group to present their ideas using the expressions they have learned. - Focus on errors if time permits.
- If time permits, open a debate about the roles of fathers versus the role of mothers in upbringing children. - Students debate and exchange ideas.