Second TP 20 Sep 13
Upper Intermediate level
To give students practice in reading for gist, detail as well as in listening.
- To focus on fixed expressions/ 'place holder names' - To give extra oral practice. - To expose the students to the TL.
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
- Divide the students into pair and ask them if they know what their names mean. - Ask if their names can be translated into English. - After checking with their partners, each one to share the meaning with the whole class.
- Divide the students into pairs. - Ask the students to read the extracts on the page and identify the names. - Ask them if they know what the names mean or refer to. - If the students are not familiar, I will explain by giving them the example of the word 'fulan' which is used in the Turkish language to refer to the same thing.
- Give the students the explanation of the words: gape, startle, bandage and anticipate - Elicit the vocabulary by giving them definitions, assist them if they are not familiar with the words. - Write the words on the board, label them and show the students where the stress is on the word. - Drill chorally and individually
- Show the students the Tom and Jerry Video and ask them to guess what happened to Jerry (as he dives into invisible ink and becomes invisible). - Elicit the word: 'invisible'.
- Ask the students to read the text for gist. Inform them that the reading will be for a short time and is only for them to get the general idea of the story. - Play the track from the workbook CD for them to know the right pronunciation. - Divide the class into pairs - Ask each pair to think which of the placeholder names corresponds to the character in the text and ask them to back their answer with a reason.
- Ask the students to go back to the text and read it for the second time. - Ask them to answer the exercise on the exercise page by reading the statements and deciding whether they are true, false or if the text doesn't say. - Divide the class into pairs. - Ask the students to share their answers with their partners. - Share the answers with the class.
- Divide the class into groups of 3 or 4. - Ask the students to guess what happened to the character in the text 'The Invisible Man'. - Run Feedback and then distribute the answer for them to check if they got the right one.